Youth Leadership Academy
A Youth Leadership Academy can consist of 1 – 3 days of youth leadership development and service learning training for groups of middle and high school youth at your school or organization.
- Know Thyself – explore their own talents, interests, and strengths while understanding and respecting the rich diversity of others;
- No Man (or Woman) Is An Island- engage in cooperative, team building experiences that foster a spirit of collaboration; and
- Mighty Oaks Form Little Acorns Grow – cultivate their ability to motivate and lead others while implementing effective problem solving and decision making skills.
As part of the 2 or 3 day Leadership Academy youth learn how to use their leadership skills by taking positive action in their community. Youth directed service-learning training includes how to:
- assess community needs,
- identify issues to address,
- select an action or service to provide,
- plan for project implementation,
- reflect on personal, academic, and civic growth,
- monitor project progress, and
- develop strategies to demonstrate the initiatives impact to others.
In addition to training, youth are provided with a wealth of resources including a LEADERS Guide to Service-Learning and examples of projects developed by other youth (including safe driving, cancer education, and disaster preparedness). Youth can also learn basic grant writing skills and be provided with information that will assist them in securing funding for their local projects.
Youth are challenged to use their new knowledge, skills and ideas to enlist the help of peers, parents, teachers, other school personnel and community members to carry out exciting and innovative service-learning projects.
“Before I came to this leadership workshop I followed people but now I can make my own trail for people to follow!” – 9th grade student, Bristol Borough High School, Bristol, PA
“This program is life changing! You realize things that you can actually do. It motivates you to make a change in the community. It was definitely worth my time to learn new things about service learning. I am inspired to take action and make a change!” – 10th grade student Campbell High School, Ewa Beach, Hawaii
“After this training I see a lot of new opportunities for myself and everyone here. It’ll help me with Senior Project a lot and it has helped boost my confidence to be a leader and to pitch project ideas.” – 10th grade student, Campbell High School, Ewa Beach, Hawaii